Vertical parking day!
Steps for vertical parking:
- Engage 1st gear when going into the vertical parking station.
- Stop about 0.8m away from the kerb. Note: don’t stop too near!
- Signal left. Engage reverse gear. Check left side mirror and right blindspot.
- Once clear, reverse until left vertical bar is at 1 kerb length. If you are at the end of the circuit. If in the middle of circuit then use 1.5 kerb length. Full lock steering wheel to the left. Keep your head on the head rest and glance out of left rear window. The bar that you see at the window is the vertical bar.
- Continue reversing and check that left front wheel can clear the kerb, then check right front wheel. Once the screen wiper is parallel to front kerb, return steering wheel straight.
- Stop the car, glance back to check for clearance. Reverse car until left kerb is underneath left front mirror.
- Neutral gear, handbrake up, feet off the brake.
- Clutch in, engage first gear, release handbrake.
- Signal left or right, depending on instructions.
- Check for traffic clearance.
- Full lock steering wheel once shoulder meets with kerb.
Parallel parking today and the last of “new stuff to learn”. After today it will be just revisions all the way till my test day!
OMGWTFBBQ my left leg is cramping so much!!! Mr A didn’t allow me to rest my left foot so for 100 mins I was clutching in and out. Went clutch control overboard. /:
Steps for parallel parking:
- Engage 1st gear when going to parallel parking station.
- Stop when your left side mirror is align to prior number tag. Eg: if your station is 38, move forward and stop when your left side mirror is aligned to number tag 37.
- Signal left. Engage reverse gear. Do 360 degrees safety checks.
- Once clear, reverse until the back of left door handle is aligned to first kerb. View from left side mirror. Full lock steering wheel to the left. Continue reversing and check left side mirror, making sure left wheel can clear left kerb. Then, view right side mirror and reverse until you see the black kerb (which shows your car is in the middle of the lot). Straighten steering wheel.
- Adjust your right side mirror until it’s fully left and down (press left arrow button fully until it clicks, press down arrow button fully until it clicks).
- Continue reversing until right back wheel sits exactly on top of the yellow line. This is a crucial position so get it right! View through your adjusted right side mirror as you now have full view of the right back wheel.
- Full lock steering wheel to the right. Continue reversing until the back wheels are almost touching the back kerb. Your car should be somewhat straight now. Return steering wheel straight.
- Engage 1st gear, shift slightly forward until car is in the middle of the lot.
- Engage reverse gear, glance back to check.
- Reverse until back wheel is almost touching the kerb. Stop.
- Engage 1st gear, signal right, adjust mirror back to position. Remember: GSM (gear, signal, mirror!)
- Release clutch slowly until the slightest movement of car is detected. Immediately full lock steering wheel right.